How to Cancel or Transfer Your Phone Plan When You Move

Moving to a new location? Here’s how to transfer your wireless service to your new address, cancel it if your carrier doesn’t offer services in that location or temporarily suspend your account if you’ll be away for an extended period.

How to transfer your wireless plan to a new location

Check with your wireless carrier to see if they offer coverage in your new location. If they do, the easiest option is to simply change your billing address. In most cases, you’ll be able to keep your current phone number. You’ll also have the option to switch to a local number.

Note that an address change could affect your bill if you move to a new state. That’s because each state has its own tax rate for wireless plans.

You can change your billing address and switch to a local number via your account management page, at your local carrier store or by calling your carrier directly:

Did you know? Many phones are worth $100+. Find the value of your phone.


How to cancel your wireless plan when you move

If your carrier doesn’t provide coverage in your new location, you can cancel your wireless service and sign up for a different carrier. Note that you’ll need to pay off any device installment plans and if you’re on a contract plan, you might be responsible for early termination fees (ETFs). That said, you might be able to reduce or eliminate ETFs if you explain you’re only cancelling because your carrier doesn’t offer service in your new location.

Visit your local store or call your wireless carrier to cancel your wireless plan and find out what it costs:

Did You Know? You can get out of a phone contract or sell a phone you owe money on Learn more

If you can’t avoid ETF fees, see if any carriers in your new location have “switch and save” deals, which will pay off your early termination fees when you port your line over.

How to temporarily suspend service

Major carriers allow you to temporarily suspend service. This could be useful if you’re going to be out of the country for an extended period or if you’re a military member who is being deployed. Suspension periods range from 30 days to 3 years or more, depending on your carrier and circumstances. Note that you might still be responsible for ongoing or reduced fees while your service is suspended.

Visit your carrier’s support section to suspend service and learn about associated costs:

Related Help